Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

A Digital Slr's Life Span?

Digital Cameras Discussion

Postby Case » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:45 am

I don't know.
Really.

I have never had any of my dSLR cameras fail.

I have a colleague who has a Nikon D3 that has over one million shutter cycles on it and it is still working fine.
The D3 is stress tested to 300,000 cycles, but in real life, no one abuses a camera like the stress test does.

The reason people change dSLR cameras every four to five years is NOT do to a failure of the camera, but due to the advancements in technology.

The reason 35 mm cameras last for over 50 years is because all the technology is in the film.
With the technology in a dSLR being all in the sensor and electronics.

NOTE: I ave one dSLR I purchased in 2002 and is still working just fine.
I am sure it will continue to work for many more
Case

Postby weardhyll » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:08 pm

They are rated based on average shutter life, which ranges from 50,000 to 400,000.
Most current consumer/prosumer DSLRs are rated at about 150,000 shutter actuations.
The answer depends on how much you use the camera, assuming nothing else breaks for some random reason.
I have a seven year old D50 that works like new, but it doesn't even have 1,000 shot on it yet.
As long as the battery remains able to hold a charge or replacement batteries are available, I see no reason that this camera won't last 20 years or more.
Otherwise, it might be safe to divide your typical shots per week into the projected lifespan (150,000) and see what you come up with.
If you shoot 2,000 frames per year, the shutter should last the rest of your life.
Will the rest of the camera? I don't know.
There's a lot of electronics in there and the life is not rated.
I wonder how many cameras have been "discarded" because they finally died as opposed to how many have been abandoned just because the user wanted to upgrade.
That number is probably a lot higher than the ones who died.
weardhyll

Return to Digital Cameras