Not logged in? Join one of the largest Technology Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Samsung Galaxy S5: In-depth Review of Features and Expected Deals

Advertisments:

Dell Latitude won't connect to Wifi?

Networking & Wireless Discussion

Postby rexford » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:01 am

I have a Dell Latitude D630, and it will not connect to the Internet using Wifi. I live right beside a power station that provides Wifi, and I cannot get any connections to show up on my laptop. My iPod Touch, and my stepmom's laptop connect, but my laptop will not. I do have the Wifi light on. I carried my laptop to the hospital with me, and it connected to Wifi automatically. When I look at my Wireless Network Connections, nothing ever shows up. Can somebody please help me?
rexford

Postby zak » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:10 am

Try disabling then enabling the wifi under Driver Manager.

Have you updated your drivers and BIOS to the most recent for your operating system? I know that the BIOS is up to A_17 (A_18 is available - but Dell only recommends it for Vista).

Go to Dell.com, click through to Technical Support, and allow the scanner to run so it can sort out the drivers for your hardware profile by operating system. Download all of them and print out the page (there's a link) with the recommended order of installation - write down the various drivers's names or numbers under the correct category. They recommend a wired connection over wireless for downloading drivers - it's faster and the drivers are less likely to have issues downloading.

Once the download is complete - start installing them in the order recommended. You may have to reboot a couple of times. Be sure to have the power on and the battery in correctly (make sure both latches clicked into place) when you update the BIOS.

I have two Dell Latitude D630s - the update process really does help get better performance out of them!
zak

Postby adolfo27 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:14 am

go to the wireless network settings, delete you wifi network and connect again. type in you wifi password. its should connect.

if this does not work, go in start, run, type services.msc, go all the way to the bottom and you will see wireless configuration something.., click stop if it is started, then start again.
i assume you are using windows xp
adolfo27

Return to Networking & Wireless