Welcome to TechForums.info!    Latest blog post: Samsung Galaxy S5: In-depth Review of Features and Expected Deals

Advertisments:

Data retrieval possible from hard drive after lightning strike?

Storage Discussion

Postby hadon » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:45 am

I was working on the computer during a lightning storm w/ several external hard drives attached. As I was unplugging one hd a bright blue spark and a warm sensation occurred for a fraction of a second in my right hand, which was still holding both the power cord and USB cable.

My laptop and remaining two hard drives attached to it shut off instantly but the second monitor stayed on, in fact all my other electronics running throughout the house kept running smoothly at 100%.

However now with a new computer it appears that the two external hard drives still connected to the laptop have also been fried, despite all three being on a surge protector. My question is: will it be possible to recover this data? What are the odds? It is definitely my most important work files, regretfully..
hadon

Postby ciardha86 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:46 am

If your hard drive can be detected and shows up as a drive letter in my computer but you can't access your files,then you can recover your data off it with data recovery software easily.This way is the easiest and the most inexpensive way to recover your data.If you bring it to Best Buy,they will cost you $500-1000 or more.Hmm, a lot of money.
I managed to recover data from crashed hard drive with Tenorshare Data Recovery.If needed,you can download it and scan your hard drive for free to preview whether your data can be recovered.It will show you thumbnails for pictures that it found on your drive. Get it from any-data-recovery.com

Hope it helps!
ciardha86

Postby hadon » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:51 am

"If your hard drive can be detected and shows up as a drive letter in my computer but you can't access your files,then you can recover your data off it with data recovery software easily"

Danile is right. but i recommend another software which i sued before, minitool power data recovery, a powerful software.
hadon

Postby pierre » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:01 am

try other usb port, or other computer and see whether the hdd is detected. If still not, try to go to device manager ( http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000833.htm ), and then assign a drive letter to the hdd. After that, try to access it from Computer, if not able to access it, format it (use quick format) and then use this program to recover your files.
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,169597-order,4/description.html
pierre

Return to Storage