Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Craigs List Work Scam Or Paranoid Job Hunter?

Peripherals Discussion

Postby Atuanya » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:38 pm

So, apparently I got hired to this at home job through craigslist. It's sounds like a good deal but a little too good to be true and I've talked to the hiring manager through email,but I'm not confident with dealing with someone i never met. He gave me an interview via online, but that hasn't extinguished my suspicions.

Anyway, I talked to him through email and the company is called,Cox Business Services. I checked it on the BBB and it does exist and they even have a website.

Here's where he describes the company and scary bank transfer crap:

we are currently located in united kingdom but we would be relocating to new york i am currently in Usa Pa i am working from home too here is our Goal We are dedicated to meeting the needs of independent dialysis providers around the world by leveraging today's most innovative technologies to deliver a full spectrum of high-quality services to the business community.

We Specialize in all kinds of Computer peripherals Supplies such as ATX case, power supply, mouse, keyboard, speaker, blank CD-R Hard Drives, Memory Sticks and so on..so this is the next step we are going to take you would need well you would need to get your mini office equipment such as laptop,printer,scanner,and the other software etc

Funds would be sent to you in from of Cheque or bank transfer ,once you receive them,have it cashed at your bank and deduct $150 for quick book software, $200 for petty cash and you will also deduct $100 for yourself as a sign up bonus fee and then send the balance to the companies shipping agent for them to ship your mini office equipment such as laptop,printer,scanner,and the other software etc . Your appointment letter would be sent to you also E-mail me now the following so i can be sure of your direct contact

This is the job description:

Your Job would be to enter admission and billing data for clients and payroll information for employees into the computer system, and forward documentation to the appropriate processing center, maintain client/employee records, and distribute copies of compliance documentation to appropriate branch staff based on Company approved standardized paper flow.

Ensure all client and employee files are current and complete, interface with administrative staff to gather deficient or inaccurate documents, and notify the manager when employ

The pay for this job is $27.00/hr,Monday through Fridays,6hrs a day (Full-time)9am-3pm daily,you will be getting paid weekly either via bank transfer or money orders

What bothers me is that he's asking for me to cash a check in the bank and send the rest to a shipping agent, whose supposed to give me a laptop and other office supplies. It sounds fishy and like a scam but was very alluring to a recent college graduate. So what do you guys think, scam or paranoia?

Btw the hiring manager's name is Merlin Author...so weird.
Atuanya

Postby Kynwal » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:51 am

A woman I know who is the wife of a police officer friend fell for the same scam. She DID cash the check and sent them the difference and guess what happened, it came back NSF funds a few days later. She was/is out $3000. The scam artists are very good and hard to track down. They are actually based outside of the US so it is very difficult to arrest/charge these people with the crime. Watch your credit report closely. It may be worth it for you to enroll in a credit monitoring service. The cell number isn't as big of an issue as them having your name/address. Be careful in the future and NEVER give out personal information. If you want to sell things on Craig's list, etc. Open a P.O. Box to have checks sent to or use Pay Pal, it's safe an secure.
Kynwal

Postby brett » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:14 am

Yes dear it is a scam, if it were Legit the would send you your sign on bonus, petty cash in two different payments and would get all of the office supplies that they want you to have, if they are paying for the supplies they should order them and pay for them directly instead of sending you the money and you have to do it.
brett

Return to Peripherals