Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Could You Explain To A Layman (me) What The Term Computation Really Means?

Peripherals Discussion

Postby Omarr » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:19 pm

At its simplest:

Computations are additions (generally) down a column of numbers.

Castings are additions(or other operations) across a row of data.

computation means running down a list of numbers and performing pre-determined operations on the numbers.

Your computer consists of a central processing unit (CPU) which contains and instruction set and and Arithmetic Logic Unit (ALU) within its core and some peripheral devices to accept input and deliver output. Input devices include disk drives, keyboards, mice, light pens and much, much more. Ouput devices include screens, printers, disk drives and much, much more.

A computer accepts input, modifies it in a predetermined manner and produces output. By this definition, a digital watch is a computer, and in reality it is a form of computer. A calculator also... But the problem is that these items perform specific tasks which are pre-defined and not user changeable. For general purposes, a computer must accept instructions which modify the way in which it deals with data. These instructions (software) are changeable as distinct from the hard boxy bits referred to as hardware,
Omarr

Postby Farnum » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:34 pm

No matter how advanced they get, computers only perform 3 tasks: input, processing, and output. Computation generally refers to processing. In layman's terms, its the process of taking a problem or request and responding appropriately.
Farnum

Return to Peripherals