Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Constant Blue Screen Of Death.....?

Linux Discussion

Postby Fontaine » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:39 am

I'm playing around with an old laptop, it's around ten years old. It has windows XP on it.

The thing will not load, at all. I get the blue-screen of death EVERY time, the furthest it gets is the first windows boot screen (once or twice I've got it to load in safe mode, but that quickly dies too).

I have tried installing Linux on it, but it won't work. There's a password on the bios (a password long since lost to time), so I can't change the boot order, and I can't get to the bios battery, because, maddeningly, one of the screws has worn so the cross is 'rounded' and no screwdriver will grip it.

Does anyone have any suggestions I can try? It's annoying me, I want to get it to work!
Fontaine

Postby Averyl » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:15 am

blue show screen of loss of life bargains witha undesirable working gadget. you will prefer to reformat the hardcontinual and reinstall the working gadget. you may desire to apply a restoration disk, a restoration partition, or a reinstallation disk. earlier you reformat you ought to look into backing up your records first. you may do so with a hardcontinual enclosure. this would assist you to get admission to records off the hardcontinual while not having to log in throughout the time of the gadget. i take advantage of a bt-3 hundred from topmicrousa which i'd advise you examine out besides. when you're performed backing up your hardcontinual, reformat the working gadget then recopy your records. in case you have from now on questions be chuffed to deliver me an e mail and unwell be chuffed to help (^_^)/
Averyl

Postby Harrison » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:05 pm

You can access the boot menu by tapping the F8 key after switching on the power.
Harrison

Postby Gian » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:28 am

I had the same problem which was cured by replacing the CMOS battery. Got one off eBay for £4.

To get at yours try getting a drill with a drill bit that is the same size as the head of the screw and carefully drill the head off. This should allow you to get the cover off and then a pair of pliers should get the remainder of the screw out. You can pinch a screw from another part of the case to replace it without too much impact.

Good luck.
Gian

Postby Ahtunowhiho » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:00 am

Nothing electrical will work properly without an adequate power supply, have you made sure that the charger and battery are functioning properly? Ten years is a bit much for a laptop battery if it has not been charged and discharged regularly in recent times.

If you get as far as a blue screen then at least some of it is in working order.

Sort out the power first. There are more ways than one to change or remove the BIOS password; http://www.askvg.com/how-to-reset-remove...

XP always came with installation discs, as I remember a floppy and about 3 CDs, do you still have them? The floppy goes in first, then 1-2-3 as advised by the system, if doing a re-install or repair.

When was the last time that it worked properly by the way? Maybe it has not been used for a while because it was duff even then.

Best of luck with it, Bert.
Ahtunowhiho

Postby Claeg » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:33 am

superglue something to that tiny screw and get it out of there.
Claeg

Return to Linux