Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

My computer boots funny now after trying to install ubuntu 12.10?

Linux Discussion

Postby clyftun54 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:25 am

I just used pen drive linux to install ubuntu on my machine because it comes through my housing program, I am physically disabled. However, they put an administrator account on it so I can only do a few things. So, I figured, install Linux because they didn't password protect the BIOS. Anyways, I install ubuntu like I've done a million times, and when the screen that I would assume is grub comes up, the monitor doesn't detect it. So I have to guess where the cursor is and pick the correct partition to boot in, ubuntu or the windows partition. Also, for some reason, this version of ubuntu doesn't have drivers for my wireless card (i'm using a desktop) so I can't get online with that installation. My question is:
1.) I just need a partition of ubuntu separate from my windows partition. Is there an easier way to do it than the way I decided to? Could someone point me towards a guide or let me know how to do it themselves? Keep in mind the newest stable ubuntu release didn't automatically detect my wireless card like it usually does - so I will probably have to get drivers before the install just keep that in mind.
2.) Should I just get rid of that partition? How can I go about doing that?
3.) How can I make it so I still have ubuntu and windows, but make that "what I think is grub" screen to where my monitor will detect it?
3.) How did this occur, how could I stop it in the future?
I have years of software engineering experience and script writing as well. I just don't know what the hell happened here.

I am thinking it's just an issue. I wish I could just edit the autoexec.bat, config.sys and type "mode 80" and everything would be fine.

I miss the old days - thanks to everyone in advance for any and all help given.

Sincerely,

JKR
clyftun54

Postby kelli32 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:38 am

Boot the computer with a Linux LiveCD. Ubuntu has never installed proprietary hardware and software drivers. That is some thing the user has to do. Remastered Distributions are the ones that normally install theses for people, but that is beginning to change also. In Ubuntu you have to install: Ubuntu Restricted, from the Software Center of through Synaptic.

Every Linux distribution will connect through a cable connection, so I am guessing you are talking about wireless connections. If the wireless is password protected, you can't even connect with out knowing the WEP/WPA code and the network name.

NOTE: Don't panic, unless it doesn't boot into any thing. When you first Install Linux to the hard drive and then boot up, It takes between 10 to 15 minutes for Linux to examine the hardware in the computer, then find the necessary hard ware drivers, before it will boot into the Grub boot menu. Then the grub boot loader opens Linux first in the list in a few seconds delay so you can choose which operating system to run (Windows is always at the bottom of the Menu screen), so that is what has it in a black screen for a short period of time. Once it finishes this process, it should show a Boot menu and boot into Linux.
kelli32

Return to Linux