Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Car audio system for home?

Home Audio & Video Discussion

Postby frederick » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:46 am

So my little digital radio I've been using for radio and PC input is starting to sound a little crappy on some music and movies I've been playing with it. Now I have a 12V solar system set up and run my devices from 12V if I can help it (computer and radio are both 12V) and was wondering if I could just build a small car stereo system to use. I don't want to try and deafen myself like hoons do in their cars just a small amp and speaker setup for one room on the computer and for digital radio. Now I don't want to have to spend an arm and a leg just a mid quality system.

So far I've found I need speakers and an amp. Just two stereo speakers and an amp with only audio inputs (2, but 1 if I have to) if possible or closest to it. As it's a battery solar system, energy efficiency must be considered so low watts. Remember only enough for one room on the computer or radio on loud enough to play music through the house if needed.

I don't really know what to look for and how to match speakers with the amp. I'm an electrician so I can manage wiring and housing the unit just not a sound enthusiast to help pick what I need.

Thanks.
frederick

Postby jantje65 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:49 am

To start with, the speakers don't care, one way or the other, what powers the amp. Start looking for a hobby kit for a 12 volt low draw amp & build it yourself. Maybe Radio Shack web site - They used to carry a very good line of stereo kits. You'll need an intergated amp, which is a preamp & a basic amp in one package. The preamp has the inputs & volume levels. Sounds like a neat project !! An, as a side note, solar & wind power for homes is getting quite popular, & those both have specialized electrical needs that could be a career move .... ??
jantje65

Return to Home Audio & Video