Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Canon 7d Or 5d Mark Ii?

Digital Cameras Discussion

Canon 7d Or 5d Mark Ii?

Postby Terris » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:15 pm

Hi all.

I've been in photography for a while and feel as though it's ready to upgrade my gear. I currently shoot with a Rebel T2i and have been shooting for 4 years.

I'm worried I may not see a huge difference from the Rebel going to the 7D. I understand that the 7D is more of a sports/wildlife camera and I don't even do too much of that... The AF speed appeals to me in general though.

The extra lens cost (to replace my crop sensor lenses) is my main hesitation about going full frame, but I suppose if I want to take photography seriously, I'm probably going to go FF at some point in the foreseeable future anyway.

If I had to go full frame, these lenses would need to be sold/replaced: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Revie... http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Revie...

Interested to hear everyone's thoughts. Thanks a lot.

This is just a rather large investment so I want to make sure I'm making a good decision!
Terris

Canon 7d Or 5d Mark Ii?

Postby Lugaidh » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:26 am

I wouldn't go full frame until I had to. Which in my case will be never, which is when I'm going to win the lottery.

That crop sensor does a great job. Are you utilizing fully? Keep using your T2i until it won't do something you want to do. Then look at upgrading.

I've also had my DSLR (a Nikon D90) for 4+ years. I still don't see any need to upgrade. Yes, I get the itch to buy something new, but then I remind myself that I still have a lot of learning to do on this camera.
Lugaidh

Canon 7d Or 5d Mark Ii?

Postby swain » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:43 pm

Call Canon Customer Service at (800) 828-4040.
Ask their thoughts about which camera you should move up to.

Ask for the 800 # for the "Canon Loyalty Program".
This program allows you to send in your old Camera, and receive a used/factory refurbished new camera at a drastic discount compare to 'street prices'.

The only catch is that you get a 90-day warranty instead of a 1-year warranty.
But you get to use the camera for a week or two before deciding to buy it, and trade yours in.
swain

Canon 7d Or 5d Mark Ii?

Postby Curt » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:26 am

If you can afford the 5Dm2, go for it. If you can't, then the 7D will do just fine. The 7D top of the line camera without going full frame. Go full frame only if you REALLY want to. If not, stick with the 7D.
Curt

Return to Digital Cameras