Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Can Someone Tell Me If This Is A Good Laptop And A Good Price?

PC Hardware Discussion

Postby jeran » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:36 am

jeran

Postby Jerron » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:42 am

Of course it really is a shame that there is no graphics upgrade selection in the 1525 series but there is no laptop made by anyone at all on the marketplace in that price tag range with committed graphics (such as NVidia 8400/8600/9600 etc)

The Roxio is not needed and the money they charge for that can be put into an upgrade of the LCD from 1280 to 1440 ($50) or else internal bluetooth ($20) or wireless-n ($50)

Also, if I am reading the service option proper, you paid further for on-website service or it was thrown in? In any case it is often worthwhile to think about their "total care" service selection as that consists of LCD breakage and the cost of an LCD repair normally signifies the laptop is junk. LCD harm is a pretty frequent event however...

------------------

To absolutely everyone reading this, truly think about how a lot you enjoyed your old and slow desktop from 1995 since that is what you get with a 5400 rpm challenging drive - do not even start to evaluate other units unless they have a 7200 rpm drive.

The Pentium comment is so incorrect it boggles the mind. Like in 2008 they would throw a true Pentium in a laptop. It's just a branding issue by Intel to differentiate a decrease cost market. The CPU is nonetheless a core 2 processor with most of the cache disabled leaving 1 meg cache. It is still a quite rapidly CPU with the very same power footprint as any core two CPU and you would have to upgrade to the 2.five ghz CPU with the six meg of cache to notice much of a distinction in day to day usage but you will quickly notice the distinction in between a 5400 rpm drive and a 7200 rpm drive

------------------------------

Out of some perverse sense of curiousity, I clicked on the hyperlinks of the recommended "much better" units

The HP had a mind boggling slow 4200 rpm challenging drive in it and the exact same class slow graphics - the NVidia 7150 is just the AMD side equivilent to the Intel 3100 - each mondo crap.

The Gateway has much less RAM, the exact same 3100 crap and a slow 5400 rpm drive - how can anybody think about that much better?

And the compaq is the identical lousy deal - except a slightly nicer screen as I am suggesting for the Inspiron 1525

Boy all the laptop producers sure have everyone hunting at the wrong specs! Or else possibly everyone is actually longing for the retro computing days of slow computers so they can commit most of their time subsequent to the good coffee machine...
Jerron

Postby brody » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:35 pm

no i dont consider it is most laptops now come with a lot more quickly processors and for more affordable you should appear at a hp and get a processor of 2.4ghz but thats just my input
brody

Postby Caradoc » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:01 pm

No, not genuinely.

Greatest downside is the dual core Pentium CPU ....
it makes use of much more energy than a dual core Centrino which is far more suitable for a laptop.

The 4GB of RAM are overkill ( I run Vista Ultimte on 2GB, & it works fantastically) 3GB is much more than sufficient even with a video card that makes use of shared RAM.

With a laptop it's a great rule of thumb to get far more power than you want due to the fact in contrast to a desktop you can not upgrade the processor a year or two down the road.

Here are retail examples of a superior units at the exact same value or much less:

(there are several more like these out there) http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail... http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddet...

regards,

Philip T
Caradoc

Postby Pit » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:17 am

Pit

Return to PC Hardware