Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Can't Find Book On Nook E-reader?

E-Book Readers Discussion

Postby Aylmer » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:07 am

My friend has a new Nook that has a bunch of books the store loaded for him.
But then he downloaded a free book from his local library using Adobe Digital Editions on his Mac.

He can read the book on his Macintosh (and I'm a PC).
He dragged the book to the Nook icon in the ADE left pane and a progress bar appeared and seemed to work, but we can't find the book on the Nook.

When I repeated the process, ADE reported that the book was already on the Nook and asked if I wanted to replace it.
I said yes and it appeared to transfer, but, again, it doesn't appear to be on the Nook (or I just don't know where to look for it.)

If I click on the Nook icon on the desktop, it opens up and the book title shows up but the right pane is filled with random characters and the left pane is blank.

Any helpful suggestions?
Aylmer

Postby Adael » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:18 am

Hi, I hope this helps.
This is for Nook Simple Touch and PC, but that shouldn't make a difference.
I posted this on the Adobe Forum site today too.

Re: Trouble finding an e-book once it is downloaded

I have an new Nook Touch, so this answer is not about the Nook Color.
Excuse the very simple step by step explanation, but I want people to actually understand.

This was a borrowed Epub Library book, which may be the most difficult.
But that's why I bought the Nook, to read free library books (Sorry, B&N, but I'm not working, like many people and can't really affort to buy or store everything I want to read...The Nook was a gift from my sister).

ADE refers to Adobe Digital Edition,

First you have to borrow the book electronically from the library and download it to your laptop.
Mine wound up in C:\users\my documents\my digital editions.
(And NOT in any of the subfolders of my digital editions).

Plug your Nook into your laptop using the Nook cable, and authorize it, if you already haven't.
This takes a little time and effort so review the ADE Forum on that topic.
You have to have the Nook plugged into the laptop to do this, and leave it plugged in til I tell you to unplug.

On my laptop, opened ADE, and the Nook was recognized (shows on the left column).
If it doesn't show, go back to Authorize.

On my laptop, in ADE, drag (not copy) the library book icon from ADE to the Nook icon in ADE on the left (not any of the Nook subfiles, just NOOK on ADE. Click on Nook in ADE list on the left, and see if the book really made it.

Opened Windows Explorer in a separate window, opened My Computer, opened Nook, opened "digital editions" (has a icon that looks like an open book) to see that book really arrived.
This confirms that the Nook and the laptop agree.

Close Windows Explorer and unplug the Nook.
Now we are done with the laptop.

Open your Nook.
It will have gone to sleep when it's plugged into the laptop, which is ok.

Open the Nook Library.
If the selection window at the top left is set to "Books" you will NOT see your new book, even though ADE and Windows Explorer say it's there.
Stop screaming.

This is where the magic happens: Change the selection menu at the top left of the Library screen to " All ".
And voila! your new book appears! Open the new book, congratulate yourself on an outstanding technical feat and enjoy your new book!

Again, sorry for the baby-talk solution, but I wanted to be clear.
If anyone finds errors, please let me know.
I posted this to the Adobe Forums too.
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/779069.
Adael

Return to E-Book Readers