Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Can I Connect A Wireless On To A Switch.

Networking & Wireless Discussion

Postby Wetherby » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:56 pm

If you are asking if you can hook a switch into a wireless router to allow more computers to access the internet through the router, yes you can.

If you are asking if you can hook your DSL/Cable modem into a switch, then plug the WAN port of a wireless router into the switch, yes you can... but you won't (with most providers) be able to hook another product directly into that switch and get internet access, most "normal" internet connections are limited to a single IP address behind the "modem"

I *THINK* however, what you are wanting to do is to be able to hook more than a single machine up to your DSL modem, if that is the case, you don't really need a separate switch.... Almost all wireless routers have 4 "lan" ports on them.
You plug the wireless router into the DSL modem, then you can connect with multiple wireless devices, as well, as 4 "wired" devices... If you need more than 4 ports, (4 wired devices) THEN you can buy a switch, plug the switch into one of the 4 ports, then additional devices into the switch.
Wetherby

Postby Hildebrand » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:45 am

The best thing to get is a wireless router.
Most wireless routers comes with at least 4 switch ports built in.
The router can be accessed and managed through a wireless connection.
I recommend buying Cisco's Linksys broadband router.
Hildebrand

Return to Networking & Wireless