Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Can I do any better with this new notebook?

Home Audio & Video Discussion

Postby macartan » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:36 pm

Hey-hey!
Well, I have been snooping around for a new laptop this year for... next year =.=
Anyhow, I have hunted down his notebook - that in my opinion, could beat any of the others with the same specs in price. I am from Australia, and the tech trade here is pretty lacking, and most of the good stuff are expensive (and perhaps overpriced) so here is the specs of the laptop and the price:

Intel Core i5 Processor (2.40 GHz, 3 MB Intel® Smart Cache, Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 and Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology)

17.3'' LED back-lit display with HD (1600 x 900px) 16:9 Widescreen

HD Dolby Home Theater audio with 2 loudspeakers and 1 sub-woofer

1TB (1000GB) HDD (and I have a 1.5TB External HDD - making that a total of 2.5TB)

8 GB DDR3 SDRAM/8GB RAM

8-Cell Lithium Ion Battery

NVIDIA GeForce GT555M DirectX 11 with 1024 MB memory and digital HDMI audio/video out.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit and their own 'Fast Boot' OS which opens in <10sec and lets you access the internet and such.

• Multi card reader for SD, SDHC, SDXC, MMC, MS & MSPro memory cards
• 2 x USB 2.0
• 2 x USB 3.0 (compatible with USB 2.0)
• 1 x HDMI Out
• 1 x VGA
• 1 x LAN
and CD/DVD burner drive with Dual-Layer support. 1.3 MP camera and mic.

MultiTOUCH mousepad and "sleek and elegant design".

Around 3.5KG with battery (euuuuh I'm so strong T^T)

and a 2 year warranty.

So what do you think?
Oh! I almost forgot the price...! :
$899 (USD$895 - dollar is strong, lol)

Ha! So think you can do better? I am not listing the brand because its generic (so not Acer or whatever)

Good luck and let the best PC win! XD
macartan

Postby cony68 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:43 pm

That is *NOT* a notebook. That's a 17.3" 4 kg lump of electronics intended as a desktop computer replacement. The hint there is the weight, the screen size, and the sub-woofer!

A notebook computer is usually smaller, with a screen size of 15" or less (preferably 14" or less), and about 2.5 kg or less. An ultraportable in comparison is less than 14" in screen, and weighs less than 2 kg - preferably 1.5 kg or less - and has a battery life of at least 5 hours or thereabots (quick rule of thumb).

An Asus U31E or a HP Folio 13 is an ultraportable. A HP EliteBook is perhaps a notebook for the business market. A Lenovo IdeaPad is a notebook. The thing you have there is NOT a notebook.

Other than that, it looks good and should be a good buy. But if you want a gaming computer, you can build a desktop computer that'll outperform this computer for the same price.
cony68

Postby dontell » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:53 pm

A notebook?

I just built my own PC for cheaper and it has better specs than that.
dontell

Postby skyelar » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:10 pm

tats a really gud notebook....u can use it efficiently..........
skyelar

Postby bardrick » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:15 pm

Not listing the brand why? It sounds like an Asus which is a VERY high quality brand. It sounds like a decent computer though if you have about 100-200 more you could get an I7 and a slightly better graphics card if you wanted the maximum power.
bardrick

Return to Home Audio & Video