Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Calling All Mac Experts...?

Web Browser Discussion

Postby Gruffudd » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:36 pm

I already have a Samsung Ultrabook but I also want to get a Macbook Air. The problem is it doesn?t run Windows and Internet Explorer, both of which I need for work. Other platforms will not work because all our workfiles use MS Office and our biggest clients? web portal strictly run on IE. The portal doesn?t load or work on other browsers.

I read where you can install Windows, IE and MS Office on Mac but I also read it?s not an actual install or run but ?remote?, whatever that means. What is it really? And can our clients? web portal really run well on a Mac ?installed? with Win, IE and MS Office?
Gruffudd

Postby Corey » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:56 pm

You can run Windows on a Mac.
But why would you buy a Mac if you are going to run Windows? Just get a Windows laptop...
Corey

Postby Rider » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:44 am

It is a shame that the developers broke their web application to only work with Internet Explorer.They must have been lazy and using Microsoft Only technology when creating it instead of the better community supported and official methods.

You can however easily install Windows as a Virtual Machine on your Mac using VirtuaBox which you can download for free from http://www.VirtuaBox.com and your IT team if they are worth their salt will be able to do an installation for you into VirtuaBox so that you can end up running windows just like any Windowed application and run Interner Explorer inside the Virtual Machine.

This will allow you to use your Mac in all its glory for the 99% of the time and only when you need to use the website which your client's portal haven't fixed yet, you can fire up Windows, (without rebooting) Open Internet Explorer and Visit the website.

This way Windows will only take up 20 to 40Gb of data under a folder on your Mac, without interfering or making your computer slower.

You can also install MSOffice under the VM or use the Microsoft Office For Mac ,which has more features including Outlook but doesn't do dangerous Macro scripts (thank goodness), but to be honest I would suggest you move onto using Google Docs with iDrive so that you always have the file on your computer (and can view using Preview App), but can also collaborate on the file online using Google Docs
Rider

Postby Zechariah » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:56 pm

You mean that with all the browser out there that IE is the only one that you can use.

You got to try some other like Firefox Google Chrome just to mention the two big ones

but sounds like you have been a prisoner of Microsoft for years

Zechariah

Postby afham » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:11 pm

You can instal Windows on a Mac, a girl at school's Macbook Pro is entirely windows.
afham

Return to Web Browsers