Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Wd "my Book" External Hd Will Not Mount?

Mac OS X Discussion

Postby Matthias » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:30 am

Please help, I have asked friends and nobody can find a solution....

I have a Western Digital "My Book" external hard drive that will not mount to MAC or PC machines.

**Using Mac Book Pro. OS X 10.6.4

- Immediately after connecting the external HD, I get a pop up window that reads, "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer."

- I am have used Firewire 800 port & USB. Both ports work for with other external devices.

- The drive DOES show up in Disk utility. But not on my desk top.

- I have tried mounting the external disk through Disk Utility, and it does not mount.

- I have tried properly ejecting the external disk in Disk Utility, and it does not eject. The hard drive "Thinks" for a moment, then returns to a normal state. The drive never disappears from the Disk Utility.

- I have tried verifying the external disk through Disk Utility: It immediately stops with an Error in red. The error states, "This disk needs to be repaired."

- I have tried repairing the external disk through Disk Utility: It immediately stops with an Error in red. The error states, "Disk Utility can't repair this disk." Then a drop down box prompts me to back up as many files as possible and reformat the disk.

- In Disk Utility-->Info, the Hard drive states all correct information regarding connection Bus, Name and Type. It even states the HD is MS-DOS (FAT-16) formatted, and writable. Under Mount Point, its correctly states the hard drive in "Not Mounted".

**Using PC towers

- Immediately after connecting the external HD, I get a pop up window that reads, "The disk you inserted in not readable by this computer. Then I get a prompt to reformat.

I would erase and reformat but I have a movie project on this hard drive and can not afford to erase this footage.

I have tried using DISK WARRIOR, but DW will not work because the first thing you have to do is select the failed drive. Since the WD HD has not failed, I am unable to use DW to solve my problem.

I'm hopping someone out there can save my live along with my movie.

My sincerest thanks,

Tim
Matthias

Postby Esau » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:05 am

OSX does no longer examine NTFS this is the record device it possibly had put in. you want to reformat it into FAT32 in case you want it to envision on a Mac and a computing gadget. What possibly befell replaced into that Mac began the technique of formatting it with out asking you ensuing in it being twisted up. you've possibly lost each and every of the information on it. Plug it into the computing gadget and then open pc administration on the computing gadget. Double click on storage. Then click Disk administration. you need to make certain the exterior HD. proper click it. click format and format it into FAT32. regardless of you do do not format it into HFS as some different person contained in the solutions pronounced. That'll make it no longer readable on the domicile windows pc. although there are workarounds for OSX yet this calls for workarounds with a aspect of pc saavy. you'll discover them with a cursory Google search for.
Esau

Postby Yorath » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:46 am

Sounds like it's a mounting issue with a drive formatted on Windows. Generally if the correct formatting took place, it will be cross-compatible from system to system. I would recommend connecting the HDD to a Windows machine, copy the needed information to that machine and then reconnect to Mac and reformat.
Yorath

Postby Dougie » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:18 pm

In the original post, I mention connecting the HD to PC machines, to no avail. I also mentioned the drive is correctly formatted with the universal MS-DOS FAT-16, that should be able to go between operating systems, which doesn't seem to matter either.....

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond. All help is appreciated.
Dougie

Return to Mac OS X