Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Blackberry Messenger Abroad? Please Help, Virgin 2 Year Contract?

Blackberry Discussion

Postby Molan » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:48 am

I am on a Virgin contract which I keep the phone for 2 years and each month I get 500 free texts and minutes etc.

I am going on holiday soon and for 2 weeks and I was wondering if I could use my blackberry for BBM, twitter etc.. will it cost more if so how much more etc

Thanks

Was also wondering how do I view my plan? Blackberry curve 8520
Molan

Postby Graeme » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:12 pm

The Blackberry and all its services will work abroad. However, when you are outside of the UK you are "roaming" on international networks and therefore your contract plan and all the free allowances you get (free texts, free BBM, free internet etc) do not apply.

You have to pay for any usage when you are out of the UK and "roaming".

It is very expensive to use the internet services such as BBM or internet browsing when you are roaming abroad. So much so that most phones and networks have options to turn off "data roaming" so that when you are outside of the UK you can call and text but cannot use any internet based services such as BBM or internet browsing.

BBM does not work through Wi-Fi it only works through a mobile internet connection. Wi-Fi will work for internet browsing and emails but not BBM, so it is not an option to use Wi-Fi for BBM when abroad.

Sending texts from abroad are about 12p per message and the cheapest way to keep in touch whilst on holiday.
Graeme

Return to Blackberry