Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Are These Specs Any Good? What Can I Improve On?

Windows 7 Discussion

Postby Cater » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:24 am

The specs in question are:

Intel Core i7 3770K Processor Overclocked to up to 4.6GHz, a whole bunch of cpu coolers/fans (ultra quiet), 16GB PC3-10666 1333MHz DDR3 Memory (2 x 8GB sticks), Chillblast NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2048MB Graphics Card, 2 TB Hard drives, a blu-ray player, BeQuiet Pure Power Supply 530W PSU, Windows 7 64 bit for £1200. Is this a good deal or am I being ripped off?

I need the pc to be good for gaming, school work, internet browsing, watching videos etc. I would prefer a pc that allows me to watch videos in the best quality without a hitch. For the internet i'd like "insta" internet browsing. I.e. when i click something it loads pretty much instantly. For school work I just need to be able to do school work as fast as possible. I'd also like to be able to run any program that i'd possibly ever want to. And for gaming I mostly play games like minecraft, tekkit, skyrim, the sims 3 and tf2. I want to be able to run minecraft with around 300 frames per second with all settings on high with minimal frame drops. Tekkit with around 100 - 200 again, with minimal frame drops and I just want to be able to run other games smoothly.

Thanks for the help
Cater

Postby gedda11 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:31 pm

a better video card and slightly better ram wouldn't hurt . You'll need to upgrade the power supply.
gedda11

Postby Ardwolf » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:38 pm

Those are seriously high specs for browsing the internet until you're a hardcore gamer. You might get a curb rate if you are willing to compromise. In phrases of the motherboard, you want one that's suitable together with your CPU and has all of the correct connections for your different ingredients. Hope this helps.
Ardwolf

Postby Woolcott » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:21 pm

On the internet side, that's more to do with your internet connection but it might help to have an SSD in addition to your TB harddrives so caching can load things quicker.

I don't think the i7 is really necessary, it's really for intense multitasking and programming and those sorts of things, you'd probably be fine with an i5-3570k. The price you're paying for that isn't bad.

The RAM could be a bit better if it was 1600 or 1866MHz.. 16GB might be a bit much but nothing wrong with future proofing.

The video card isn't going to be maxing modern games out or getting 300 FPS in Minecraft (though I don't think anything can since Java slows **** down a lot, I struggle to keep up 60 fps with an overclocked GTX 560 which isn't too much worse than the 660). You might want a GTX 660 Ti, 670 (pricey) or HD 7870.

Power supply... since you're overclocking the CPU so much then yeah, you'd want a better power supply and make sure it's 80 PLUS certified.
Woolcott

Postby Treowbrycg » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:30 pm

I don't recommend 16gb of ram, its a waste of money and not going to help you much as 1. it will take up more space on your hard drive as it requires a larger cache than 8gb 2. 8gb would be sufficient 3. you wont need that much, 8gb is plenty for it to run smoothly. The graphics card seems ok, the processor is sort of an overkill but then again if your playing skyrim youll need that processor and a good graphics card, 2tb hdds ok but I recommend getting an SSD for your main boot drive as it will boot up faster and lower the risk factor of data corruption and the power supply may need to be increased in watts to around about 750 maybe? 1200 pounds though is quite a lot for a computer, if you want to get experience in computer building and want to get a cheaper build, build it yourself as it will be cheaper. I built mine with 574 pounds, 1.5 tb hdd, 120gb ssd, 1gb graphics card, 8gb ram and eight core amd processor, also you can just get your OS from pirate bay therefore saving you lots of money:)
Treowbrycg

Postby Teitr » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:56 pm

Hello,

I think it's a very good Deal!

Happy gaming,

Joseph Wraith
Teitr

Return to Windows 7