Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Anyone Has A 5.1 Surround Sound Home Theater System?

Audio & Video Software

Postby Tier » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:56 pm

if you are talking true 5.1 sound then you will hear sound out of all 5 speakers at some point. but with 2.1 you would have to change the settings on your system to something like simulated surround or whatever yours calls it.
this take the 2.1 and sends it out all 5 speakers. with most you will have 5 or 6 different options. surround, theater, live, whatever.
for most DVDs you would just leave it on surround and the player decides what signal gets sent out of what speaker. voice out of the center channel, low (explosions) notes out of the subwoofer, jet planes going from the front left to the back right and so forth. just play with it and you'll find a setting that works for you. without having to get up and change it for every DVD you play.
Tier

Postby Yo » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:37 pm

To get what you want, you cannot do it for much under $400. Both of your choices are steaming cheap crap. The minimum decent system would be the Onkyo 3500, selling for $240 on Amazon. Not great, but decent. Better than that would be a combo of a Yamaha 371 receiver from Amazon for $170, and a Polk 6750 5.1 speaker set from Newegg also for $170.
Yo

Postby Wmffre » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:29 am

Yes I play CD's that were only recorded in stereo all the time and the surround sound will synthesize a 5.1 signal, many older DVD's have a matrix 5.1 signal embedded in the stereo signal and the surround processor will extract this signal using Dolby II, I have found this to be true for most older movies, from major film companies even if it does not say anything about it on the packaging.. but even if there is no matrix code the processor will attempt to process a 5.1 signal, even though it is not a true 5.1 signal I have found the effects to be surprisingly satisfying most of the time.
Wmffre

Postby Adda » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:04 am

2.1 will only give you 2.1 on a 5.1 system, unless you use some of the stereo system's artificial sound expanders, which generally all sound terrible.
Adda

Postby Cyd » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:59 am

No, I don't have.
Cyd

Return to Audio & Video