Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Advice On Business Major Concentration (please Read Deets)?

Email Software Discussion

Postby Chresta » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:55 am

Ever since I was little I watched movies where the guys would have board room meetings and they'd discuss marketing strategy, advertisement ideas, and put up sales charts, demographics, and trends, and I always wanted to do that when I got older. Now that I am 20 and in college I chose Business Administration as my major, BUT I have to choose a concentration...

My options are:

Finance

Accounting

Management

Marketing

Information Systems

I really am creative minded and I am not too good with math, and I always imagined myself being in Marketing, HOWEVER after lots of research, I am seeing that people say that Marketing is a terrible choice, and that Marketing men and women are the first to get FIRED when the economy go's south, and I also hear that there are way too many Marketing grads and that if I don't stand out, I will be unemployed, and that every Marketing major ends up in sales (which is not a problem for me, because I am a people person) but I also hear that Marketing majors have this stigma of being too dumb to go for the harder Business majors like Accounting or Finance.

Honestly... Surprising as it may sound, my heart says Marketing is the best business major for me, since I am creative, good with communicating, and not amazing at math, and I also wanted to always deal with brand messaging and Marketing as a child. BUT my mind is starting to second guess this, and I am thinking that I need to pick the best major for my future and stability and Accounting seems to be the best one for safety. It is boring, and it may not be as interesting as Marketing, but I feel like at least I would be financially stable, and no matter where the economy is,Accounting people will always be hired. I took intro to Accounting and got a B, I could have gotten an A if I tried a bit harder, and I was one of the top in the class throughout the semester. I realized that it isn't very math heavy, just a lot of memory and concepts with basic math... It will be hard, but I can do it... But if I choose Accounting, I feel like I am not doing my true life calling, but another part of me tells me to forget what I want and go for what I NEED which is money, stability, and a financially stable career.

Marketing or Accounting idk what to choose please lead me with some good advice.
Chresta

Postby Lonell » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:42 am

it is best the test the waters yourself before you decide career. What you want to do is to get your feet wet. you want to know how you'll spend your day, salary, travel, room for promotion.

Look at Occupational Outlook Handbook/salary.com/pay scale.com.

*Take a career planning class & The Meyers-Briggs Personality Test at your school,s Career Center.

*You'll need to do several Internships (see: Wet feet.com, Internshipqueen.com & Americorp.gov/e-scholar.gov)

*Keep a daily work journal (Evernote App)

After you have real world experience,you'll know which one is for you.

You pick one as a Major & one as a Minor

Read: The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey, Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill.

Look for a Co-op Education Program at your school.
Lonell

Return to Email Software